Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
SERVPRO of Harrisonburg/Rockingham County wants to ensure you take the right steps to safely take care of a fire loss until we arrive. Your home or commercial facility contains many of your most valuable possessions. We understand the trauma that follows a loss. When fire damage takes control of your life, we help you take it back. It is important that you read these tips:
-Identify the Source.
-Keep hands clean.
-Limit movement in the home to prevent further damage.
-Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent more soiling.
-If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop door open.
-Wipe soot from chrome on faucets and appliances then protect with a light coating of lubricant.
-Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Harrisonburg/Rockingham County.
-Do not attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO of Harrisonburg/Rockingham County.
-Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire or water without consulting a repair service.
There's no such thing as a small disaster.
SERVPRO of Harrisonburg/Rockingham County understands how disruptive unseen damage can be for your business or home. For this reason, Call SERVPRO of Harrisonburg/Rockingham County at 540-433-6100.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (540) 433-6100
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.