Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
SERVPRO of Rockingham and Augusta Counties wants to ensure you take the right steps to safely take care of a fire loss until we arrive. Your home or commercial facility contains many of your most valuable possessions. We understand the trauma that follows a loss. When fire damage takes control of your life, we help you take it back. It is important that you read these tips:
-Identify the Source.
-Keep hands clean.
-Limit movement in the home to prevent further damage.
-Place dry, colorfast towels or old linens on carpeted traffic areas to prevent more soiling.
-If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop door open.
-Wipe soot from chrome on faucets and appliances then protect with a light coating of lubricant.
-Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces without first contacting SERVPRO of Rockingham and Augusta Counties.
-Do not attempt to shampoo carpet or upholstered furniture without first consulting SERVPRO of Rockingham and Augusta Counties.
-Do not attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire or water without consulting a repair service.
There's no such thing as a small disaster.
SERVPRO of Rockingham and Augusta Counties understands how disruptive unseen damage can be for your business or home. For this reason, Call SERVPRO of Rockingham and Augusta Counties at 540-433-6100.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (540) 433-6100
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.