If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (540) 433-6100

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Dangers of Electrical Fires

10/20/2019 (Permalink)

multiple power cords plugged into one outlet SERVPRO electrical tip for outlets

Like residential homes, commercial buildings are at risk of electrical fires and you should take precautions to prevent these hazards. Electrical equipment plugs and wiring can all cause a fire. Older buildings can have outdated wiring which poses additional risks. If you are in doubt, call a professional electrician.

Here are a few precautions you can make to minimize your risk of an electrical fire:

  1. Outlet & power cords – Make sure outlets are updated and in good working condition. The outlet should not be warm to the touch or make cracking sounds and should fit snugly. Have a professional repair them if you experience any issues.
  2. Cords & Wiring – Do not use a damaged cord. If your cords are frayed, pinched or pierced, throw them out. Damaged, worn, cracked or corroded electrical wires can increase the chance of electrical fires.

The National Fire Protection Agency suggest calling a qualified electrician if you experience:

  1. Frequent problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers.
  2. Discolored or warm wall outlets
  3. Flickering or dimming lights
  4. Sparks from an outlet

Call SERVPRO of Rockingham and Augusta Counties if you do experience an electrical fire in your business at (540) 433-6100.

Other News

View Recent Posts